How Do Scientists Turn Carbon Emission into Usable Energy?
Carbon Sciences Inc., the developer of a breakthrough technology to transform carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions into gasoline and other fuels, provided a recap of its achievements in 2008 and an overview of its plans for 2009.
While the economic turmoil of 2008 disrupted the plans of many businesses, Carbon Sciences continued to deliver technology innovations based on one fundamental vision – transforming CO2 into high-value products. In 2008, the company made significant progress toward that vision. Some of Carbon Sciences’ achievements in 2008 include the following:
- Developed the technology concept and related intellectual property to transform CO2 into high-value carbonate compounds for industrial markets such as paper production, pharmaceuticals, and plastics.
- They garnered national media attention from prestigious media firms such as CNN, Popular Mechanics, and CNET.
- They moved forward with strategic licensing partners.
- Carbon emission programs expanded its research and development facilities.
- Most importantly, invented a breakthrough technology to transform CO2 into transportation fuel, such as gasoline and jet fuel that can be fed directly into the existing fuel infrastructure, supply chain, and vehicles.
- It has appointed Dr. Naveed Aslam, Ph.D., as chief technology officer to lead development efforts.
- They have recruited Byron Elton, former senior AOL executive, as President and COO to lead marketing and business development efforts.
With the senior management team in place and an anticipated “green” Obama administration, Carbon Sciences is uniquely poised to take full advantage of future opportunities. The company’s plan for 2009 includes the following:
- Develop a functional prototype of its breakthrough CO2 to fuel technology in Q1 2009. This prototype is expected to transform a stream of CO2 gas into a liquid fuel that is: (i) combustible, and (ii) usable in vehicles.
- File a series of patent applications to protect the various innovations from transforming CO2 into fuel.
- Enhance the prototype to demonstrate a full range of cost-effective process innovations to transform CO2 into fuel.
- Launch a national media campaign describing the world’s first CO2 to fuel technology for the direct production of renewable fuels that can be used with existing infrastructure and vehicles.
- Begin development of a complete mini-pilot system to demonstrate the company’s CO2 technology on a larger scale.
- Prepare for the development of a full pilot system with strategic partners sometime in late 2010 or 2011.
Byron Elton, the company’s President, and COO commented on Carbon Sciences’ success to date and the opportunities ahead: “Albert Einstein once said, ‘In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.’ Carbon Sciences is embarking upon perhaps the most significant opportunity – fundamentally contributing to a sustainable world of energy consumption with new, renewable energy, CO2 to fuel.
This year, we expect to see new policies that reflect a world ready to invest in and embrace renewable energy. These are exciting times, and we are committed to playing a historic role in a world of sustainable fuel consumption and climate stability.”