Solar Energy Facts
Solar energy is a renewable energy source known as clear, infinitive and cheap. Therefore, it is absolutely has important place for our world in the future. Thus, we listed most important solar energy facts for you.
17 Solar Energy Facts
- One of the most important facts about solar energy is it is a completely free source of energy. The renewable energy is one of the most abundant sources of energy. The light that comes from the sun takes less than 10 minutes to travel to the earth even though it is 90 million miles away.
- The most modern and popular solar energy technologies are photo-voltaic, solar architecture, artificial photosynthesis, solar heating, and solar thermal electricity. These are all separate solar power technologies to harness energy from the sun’s radiation.
- If we want to divide the solar technologies into two major groups, distinguishing active and passive is the most suitable one. For the example of active solar technologies, photovoltaic panels and solar thermal collectors are the two solar technologies. As for passive solar technologies, building rooms to enhance air circulation can be an example.
- Our planet gets 174 Petawatts of incoming sunlight in the upper atmosphere. Approximately 30% of sunlight reflected back into space and oceans, clouds and lands take in the rest of the sunlight.
- The water cycle is happening because of the sun’s impact on the earth. Oceans and atmosphere of the earth absorb sunlight which results in temperature rise. Warm air soars from the ocean cause convection. Because of the rising air to high altitudes, with the help of pressure clouds form. These clouds then create rain and bring water back to the earth. After that, the water cycle is complete.
- Solar energy systems are also widely used in traffic lights. It is also frequently seen in traffic signs. In these systems, 1 battery, 1 solar panel and charge control unit provide energy. Among the uses of solar energy, traffic sign lamps are the most common.
- Another use of solar energy is biomass energy. Because of the photosynthesis, green plants convert solar energy into chemical energy which causes the biomass that creates fossil fuels afterward.
- A lot of people heat their waters thanks to solar energy. In particular areas, up to 70% of the water used domestically by means of solar heating. The temperature of this water can as high as 60 degrees Celcius.
- There are small solar cells in some wristwatches. It can meet its own power by producing electricity with solar cells. The use of solar energy in wristwatches has been around for many years.
- One of the oldest methods of solar energy is calculators. Indeed, many of our calculators have almost never changed their batteries.
- Solar energy is utilizing for the electricity needs of satellite systems sent by humanity to space. It has used since 1956 in the satellite systems, which are among the fields of use of solar energy.
- Among the areas of use of solar energy is cooking. You can cook your meals free with solar cookers. Solar cookers can be bought at the market and prices are very cheap. You can also make your own solar cooker.
- Solar-powered airplanes are an issue that has not yet come off the agenda. An inventor was able to make the plane, which works entirely with solar energy. And this plane traveled the world, free! In the future, the use of solar energy on airplanes seems to be prominent.
- The conditions of agricultural lands are often difficult and it is either very costly or very difficult to drive power lines. Therefore, solar energy methods have frequently used in agricultural irrigation activities. Agricultural irrigation has a very important place among the uses of solar energy.
- Solar energy can also be used to obtain drinking water, bitter or salt water. Wastewater can occur without using electricity or chemicals. Generating salt water from sea water is one of the oldest uses of solar energy.
- Solar chemicals take the place of fossil fuels as a source of chemical energy and make solar energy stored and portable. Photosynthesis can generate various fuels. Hydrogen production technology is an area of solar chemical research.
- The oil crisis in 1970 has shown that conventional energies like fossil fuels and oils fluctuate. And so many researchers went towards renewable energies, particularly solar and wind energy. From that time, research towards renewable energies gained high momentum. Nowadays, solar energy is by far the most popular renewable energy. It is apparent because solar energy is the most abundant and fruitful one among the other renewable energies.